What qualifies a patient for the swing bed program?
Patients who qualify for the swing bed program are often recovering from a stroke, surgery, hip or knee replacement and who require IV medication, therapy, or strength training after a lingering illness or prolonged hospitalization.
What services are included?
- You will be under nursing care 24 hours a day, seven days per week, to provide support, care, and education for you and your family during your recovery.
- You will have access to a clinical dietician who can provide nutritional support and education.
Therapies you qualify for while in the swing bed program may include the following:
- Physical therapy and/or occupational therapy to restore independence and provide education and training to accomplish daily activities. A physical therapist will also assess your need for assistive devices.
- Speech therapy to assist with interpreting and remembering written and spoken statements; expressing thoughts through speaking, writing and facial expressions and teaching techniques for safe swallowing.
- Respiratory therapy to administer needed treatments and provide educational information to promote optimal breathing.
How long can patients stay?
The swing bed program is considered short term. The average length of stay for patients who participate and make progress is generally one to two weeks.
The hospital offers compassionate care, providing support and comfort to patients and their families.
- Your physician or medical provider will visit you a minimum of once a week or as often as medically necessary, and your medical provider will be kept informed about your condition and progress by the nursing and therapy care providers.
- You will be assisted with bathing a minimum of twice a week.
- We will encourage you to participate in activities to promote rehabilitation.
- Your activity needs and preferences will be assessed by the Activities Department at Holy Rosary Healthcare. Care providers will encourage you to be as independent as possible to promote your recovery.
When your care goals have been met, you will receive written notice of the date you will be discharged from the swing bed program.
The swing bed program is often covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and many private health insurance plans. Holy Rosary Healthcare has a case manager available to assist you if you have questions about insurance coverage. A social worker will also help you with discharge planning, personal resources, and financial needs.